Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Tia Chuchi

Tia Chuchi was another one of my great aunts. She was married to Isaac, Sara's brother. Isaac was known to me as Tio Cha- 'Cha' is a nickname for Isaac. Actually, I knew him as 'old Tio Cha' because my uncle was just plain 'Tio Cha' to me. I knew his son (my cousin) as 'Chacito.'  Using this system for naming was how my family kept them all straight. Someone would say, "I'm talking about Cha." The next question would be, "Which Cha-old Tio Cha, Tio Cha or Chacito?"

Tia Chuchi was said to be one of the best cooks around according to my mother, Norma Paredes Riester. The first two recipes on this blog are from Tia Chuchi's book. Tia Chuchi's book was dated February 21, 1937. It was signed Maria de Jesus- 'Chuchi' is a nickname for Jesus.

The inscription says, "Pardon the writing and see only the desire to be useful and the sincere affection of your sister."





Tio Cha had a hardware store where Tia Chuchi obviously got her recipe journal. This next picture shows the inside cover printed with the name of the store (El Refugio-The Refuge), my uncle's name, the address, phone number and what they sold.




Tia Chuchi was another very elegant woman just like her sister-in-law Sara. Here is a young Chuchi in traditional clothes:


Here is another picture of her later in life accompanied by my uncle, Joaquin Paredes Areizaga and her husband, 'old Tio Cha.'


According to my mother, Tia Chuchi was like Tia Sara in many ways but would have not appreciated  the comparison. They were apparently rivals. Like Tia Sara, Chuchi lived to a ripe old age well into her 90's.

1 comment: